DigiLocker is a flagship initiative of Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) under Digital India program. DigiLocker aims at ‘Digital Empowerment’ of citizen by providing access to authentic digital documents to citizen’s digital document wallet.
DigiLocker is a secure cloud based platform for storage, sharing and verification of documents & certificates.
Benefits to Citizens
- Important Documents Anytime, Anywhere!
- Authentic Documents, Legally at Par with Originals.
- Digital Document Exchange with the consent of the citizen.
- Faster service Delivery- Government Benefits, Employment, Financial Inclusion, Education, Health.
Benifits to Agencies
- Reduced Administrative Overhead: Aimed at the concept of paperless governance. It reduces the administrative overhead by minimizing the use of paper and curtailing the verification process.
- Digital Transformation: Provides trusted issued documents. Issued Documents available via DigiLocker are fetched in real-time directly from the issuing agency.
- Secure Document Gateway: Acts as a secure document exchange platform like payment gateway between trusted issuer and trusted Requester/Verifier with the consent of the citizen.
- Real Time Verification: Provides a verification module enabling government agencies to verify data directly from issuers after obtaining user consent.
How to Register yourself?
- Your Aadhaar number
- Mobile number (Registered with Aadhaar)
- Personal Email address (Optional)
Ways to register
- You can use your mobile phone to register with Digi locker. Click below application links based on your mobile phone.
- Or you can use Digilocker official website to get started.
Open the application or website and go to Sign Up / Register section. You may need to fill your full name, Aadhaar number, Mobile number, Email address, Date of Birth, and set up a security PIN number to securely access your account afterwards. Once this form submitted, you will receive an OTP on your Aadhaar registered mobile. Enter OTP on the subsequent screen.
Collect documents through Digilocker
Once registered with your Aadhaar and mobile number, you can upload your documents as soft copy to Application. And for government documents like Aadhaar, PAN, Driving license, you can directly download documents from the respective department.
After you successfully uploaded or verify your identity through Aadhaar on the respective department, your certificate or document will be available under “Issued Documents” section.
What are issued documents and what are uploaded documents?
Issued documents are e-documents issued by various government agencies in electronic format directly from the original data source and the URI (link) of these documents is available in the issued documents section of the application. Whereas uploaded documents are those documents that are uploaded directly by the user.
How can I upload documents to application?
You can upload documents from inside your ‘Uploaded Documents’ section. Click the upload icon to start uploading a document. In the file upload dialog box, locate the file from your local drive and select ‘open’ to complete the uploading. You can also edit the name of the file using the edit icon next to the filename.
What type of files can be uploaded?
File types that can be uploaded – PDF, JPEG & PNG.
Can I open more than one Account with a single mobile no.?
You can open only one account with one mobile number which is not linked with Aadhaar. If you want to open more accounts with the same mobile number you will have to link your existing account with your Aadhaar number. Thereafter, you can use same mobile number to open another account by linking to Aadhaar.
I wish to link Aadhaar with my DigiLocker, but my mobile number is not updated in my Aadhaar. How can I get this done?
You need to link Mobile number with Aadhaar. Please visit nearest Aadhaar Kendra. Click the link to get list of Aadhaar enrolment centers.
To avail digilocker service on WhatsApp, click here.
For more tips like this, check here.